Plenty of times you come across lists like these that are one time deals, are never curated, and don’t say when they were published.
This is a review of Search Engine Journal’s “50+ Social Bookmarking Sites” which is still the #1 Google search result despite being originally published in 2007.
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/50-social-bookmarking-sites-importance-of-user-generated-tags-votes-and-links/. Forewarning, this will be curated until 2016, after which it definitely will not be and the plan is a 2016 edition will follow.
Update, here is the new list: 2016: The Complete List of Social Bookmarking Sites
Active service descriptions are from the Search Engine Journal article.
Alive and kicking
- BibSonomy : BibSonomy is run by the Knowledge Data Engineering Group of the University of Kassel, Germany. Its specifically designed for researchers, in sharing bookmarks and bibliographies
- BlogBookMark : Designed specifically for Blog hunters, BlogBookmark.com claims to have the hottest news, gossip, and blog chatter from around the web. I highly sugggest that mainstream bloggers bookmark their entire sites here.
- blurpalicious : Get Blurped! Not too different from other social bookmarks, but I love the tagline.
- Bmaccess : Social bookmarking with thumbs :).
- Bookmark-manager : Organizer for bookmarks, calendar, diary and knowledge.
- Bookmax : You can store your bookmarks and links to your favorite sites online and access them from wherever you are : basic Social Bookmarking.
- Buddymarks : The online personal, group and social bookmarks manager.
- Citeulike : A free service to help academics to share, store, and organise the academic papers they are reading.
- Cloudytags : A unique word analyzer connects to your page, gets all the words and suggest you the real tags your site is showing to the world.
- Diigo: Social bookmarking on steroids.
- start.me: Personalize your start page. Share with colleagues, students, friends or the entire web.
- Folkd: Folkd is a social web-service about pages, news, audios, videos and blogs.
- Freelink: Freelink.org provides free pages of links that you can access anywhere at anytime.
- Google: Allows users to save and create bookmarks in their Google toolbar that can be accessed anywhere online. Google is getting more social by the day, so take advantage of their Google bookmarks and citations, because one day they probably will have some kind of influence on external meta data considered by the Google ranking algorithm.
- Ikeepbookmarks: Popup feature allows you to add links while surfing the web
- Iloggo: Simple web-based bookmarking tool that you can use for attractively displaying your favorite websites on one page.
- Kinja: Kinja is a blog guide, collecting news and commentary from some of the best sites on the web.
- Lilsto: Lilisto lets you store, manage and find your favorite links (or bookmarks) and removes the need to maintain them through your browser.
- Linkagogo: Favorites and Social Bookmarking Application, its unique dynamic toolbars automatically adapt themselves.
- Linkarena: German Social Bookmarking site.
- Memotoo: Lets users centralize and share your personal data.
- Murl: My URLs is a free online bookmarks manager, think of it as a bookmarks community.
- MyBookmarks: MyBookmarks – access your bookmarks anytime, anywhere. Free productivity tool for business, student or personal use. Another popular bookmarking site.
- Myhq: Store your bookmarks in one central location. Fast, text-based, banner free!
- mySiteVote: mySiteVote is a community where you can vote your favorite site/s and view how popular a site is.
- Reddit: Timely and shocking news oriented, Reddit stories are instantly voted upon and if liked by the community as a whole, can drive incredible traffic and users.
- Sitebar: A solution for people who use multiple browsers or computers and want to have their bookmarks available from anywhere without need to synchronize them
- Sitejot: Free online bookmark manager. Like every other social bookmarking site, it allows users to manage all of their bookmarks online in one convenient place.
- Slashdot : The godfather of social news, SlashDot bookmarks are still quite powerful .. keep in mind the site has a heavy slant towards Linux and Open Source issues.
- Startaid: I’ve noticed that StartAid bookmark pages rank highly in Google and other search engines. This basic bookmarking service allows users to describe, tag and categorize sites.
- StumbleUpon: Owned by eBay, StumbleUpon is an amazing blend of social bookmarking, voting, networking, web surfing, search and blogging. Best of all, StumbleUpon can send major traffic with its userbase of around 3 million users.
- Stylehive: The Stylehive is a collection of all the best products, brands, designers and stores discovered and tagged by the Hive community
- Wirefan: Social bookmarking, news articles submission site.
Dead and gone
- Blinklist: A new chapter for the site. Blinklist will be closing down the bookmarking app http://blinklist.com/closing
- Easybm: Allows users to bookmark their frequently visited sites on their private page, allowing 1-click access to their favorite web sites.
- ez4u: Social Bookmarking – Ez4u to Bookmark : “Ez4u to Organize Ez4u to Share with Others Ez4u to Remember”
- Furl: Like Delicious, LookSmart’s Furl.net is one of the first social bookmarking sites and considered an authority by the major search engines. Listing your sites in Furl will lead to traffic from organic rankings and its popular page drives traffic.
- Gather: Gather is a place to contribute articles and content, blog, tag and connect with people who share your passions. (Plus you can link out from the articles in this authority site). Now just “Forbidden You don’t have permission to access / on this server.”
- Hyperlinkomatic: This is a bookmark list manager. Appears to be a generic site with content mill content.
- i89.us: i89.us offers a free service which allows you to save your favorite website/links at one location that can be accessed from anywhere.
- Icio: Danish bookmarking engine. “Website under maintenance”
- Kaboodle: Kaboodle is a 2.0 shopping community where people recommend and discover new things.
- Markaboo: MarkaBoo is tool for saving websites, files, and notes from your browser, email or mobile phone.
- Mister Wong: Mister Wong is a social bookmarking site that originated in Germany, and has since become a popular and widespread tool.
- MyWebDesktop: A collaboration and communication tool, designed to be as generic and easy to use as a telephone and email.
- Newsvine: The mission of Newsvine is to bring together big and little media in a way which respects established journalism.
- Tagza: A very young Social Bookmarking site mostly being used by Indian and Pakistani web masters.
Pivoted / changed formats / merged / completely different
- Digg: Pivoted to a news aggregator in June of 2012.
- Favoor: Favoor is your personalized new start page. Collect your favorite internet addresses. The Favoor personal start page service has become part of start.me.
- MyLife: A social search engine where users can find others. Now “See Background Details About Anyone + Control What the Public Sees & Says About You. Search billions of records in one place and make sure you look good to employers, clients, friends, and others you just met.”
- Segnalo: Italian Social bookmarking site. Now “Political and social services Study materials for documentation and training” (translated with Google Translate)
- Squidoo: Kind of spammed out, Squidoo is a 2.0 property which lets people and businesses set up a ‘lens’ which lists links, tags and relevant RSS feeds to different subjects. Is now HubPages
- Xilinus: Organize and manage bookmarks online. Redirects to Maptimize a marker fusion service for online maps
- Yahoo! Bookmarks: Easily one of the most popular social search and bookmarking service on the web. It’s similar to Delicious and something they launched before acquiring Delicious. Yahoo Bookmarks lets users store bookmarks using their Yahoo Toolbar and access them from any computer. Redirects to the Yahoo! Toolbar https://toolbar.yahoo.com/
- ClipClip – It has a launch registration page complete with a “Prepare to be amazed!” tagline